Meetings with Councillor Christie and Newham Council Officers – 9 & 10 October

Meeting with Councillor Christie 9/10/14

Bill, Kerena, Arnold from Newham Cyclists (NC)

Handling cycle issues

• Councillor Christie indicated that his role as Mayor’s Cycling Office had always been informal. Whilst he now had another formal executive post, he did still take an active interest in cycling issues. The removal of cycle parking and other infelicities happened by oversight rather than deliberate policy. NC made the point that consultation was not full. Given the possibility of oversight, this was important. DC agreed to look into more effective consultation. NC to follow up disappearing cycle parking in Leytonstone Rd and Romford Rd. [10 October Richard Wadey (RW) informed us that he was populating a database of “assets” such as cycle parking, cycle lanes and this should pick up for reference to him, all instances where projects impacted on cycle assets.]

• The Council were preparing new design standards (complementing the new LCDS) that would help avoid cycling issues falling through the cracks.

• Some discussion on the removal of CS2 at Tramway Ave. Counciloor Christie distinguished this junction from others as (a) not signalised and (b) a sliproad rather than a junction. He indicated that there had been numerous near misses and that it was a question of balancing out providing incomplete protection for cyclists (as complete protection was not practicable) against giving cyclists a false sense of security. Newham Council had responded to the CS2 consultation by asking for CS2 extension to be brought up to the same standards i.e. “hold left turns”. He invited suggestions for improvements.

Olympic Park/Westfield

Councillor Christie had no progress to report re Westfield s, but offered to ask the Mayor to write to Andrew Gillighan re need for LLDC to up their game. NC asked that Newham Council engage in favour of improving the cycle facilities in the LLDC planning process.

Cycle Strategy

• Councillor Christie stressed that funding was tight and that highway money would be priorities on surfacing and pavement improvements which were getting particularly poor. NC stressed that for cyclists junctions were a priority. Financial constraints also bore down on the proposed cycle strategy.

• NC suggested a straightforward strategy built upon (a) a network of quietways (b) infilled with permeability measures in urban Newham and (c) 20 mph and (d) protection for cyclists on the relatively few major corridors (Romford and Barking Rds being LCN+ – albeit substandard). Councillor Christie was sympathetic to 20mph, but explained why politically it needed a robust evidential basis, and may be better approached piecemeal. NC were invited to assist in this. They indicated that immediate enforcement problems should not be a problem and 20mph could take effect over the long term. NC raised specifically 20 mph in Woodgrange Rd , but this was not discussed.

• Councillor Christie set out some current activity, particularly where funding was being sought or had been obtained: CS2; the Quietways programme -building especially on the Greenway, Royal Docks walking and cycling programme; the Roding greenway; and Gallions roundabout.

• Councillor Christie had obtained an update on the LCC ward asks: CTN – Leaway funded and in train; CTS – Silvertown Viaduct being looked at; Custom House – route from Building 1000 to UEL being sought from developers; SNT – Stratford gyratory junction improvement being sought from TfL; LI – Roding greenway study funded. He asked NC to look at their ward asks to ensure they were what we really wanted and gave the example of the Beckton roundabout. Posible future engagement with other Councillors discussed.

Meeting with Richard Wadey (Newham Council) 10/10/14

Bill, Anold and Olawale from Newham Cyclists

Aldgate to Hainault Quietway points:

• NC supported mini-Holland project of  a route  going past City of London Cemetery and over a new bridge to Ilford town centre.
• Junctions need particular attention, with proper crossings.
• Choice of route either Henniker Rd or Chobham Ave balanced.
• 20mph on route and on periphery very important.

Ward audit

RW outlined priorities based on (a) what could be achieved bearing in mind 2014-5 needed spending quickly and DfT rules on transport signing facilitating contraflows changed in March 2015 (c) need to spread the work around wards and (d) links to coherent routes.

NC to seek to obtain the map of the ward audits etc.

Silvertown Viaduct

Wok on this depended on there being funding left over from the priority section from Canning Town to Silvertown Viaduct including Tidal Basin roundabout. A cycle around revealed there was enough space s-e bound for two way track to link with that starting at West Sivertown DLR, and also a cycle facilities n-w bound using dock road and thus avoiding a difficult slip road. This may need to be held due to closure of tunnel under Sivertown Viaduct and pending development money becoming available.

RW asked if NC would be prepared to be trained to help with traffic surveys.

Changes to CS2 at Stratford Broadway

Many of you, like me, will use CS2 on a daily basis to get to work. Over the past few months, there have been a ridiculous number of changes to the start of CS2 at Stratford Broadway, coming full circle back to exactly where we started.  This just isn’t acceptable.  Not only is it hugely dangerous to keep changing the road layout so that no road user has any idea what they’re doing, but the cost of all these changes must be incredible.

Arnold has already emailed Councillors Crawford & Christie and submitted a Freedom of Information request, but it may be that this is something that we really want to push as a group. Please let us have your thoughts by commenting below.

Here are some photos documenting the changes as well as a short video.

CS2 1 Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 17.15.09 CS2 2 CS2 3

 

Bespoke Cycle Racks for Newham

We have received the email below from Richard Wadey.  Whilst it is not the most important piece of cycling infrastructure Newham needs, it is good for us to be consulted on things like this.  If you have any ideas, please contact Richard on the email address in his note:

Dear Newham Cyclists,

 I hope you are all well.

 I am in touch as Cllr Corbett has agreed for an art-led public space project to proceed that seeks to install bespoke designed cycle racks at locations across the borough.

 The project is being led on by OpenSpace a not-for-profit arts development organisation, please see the brief attached.

 I have had a meeting with OpenSpace with suggestions of the types of locations that could do with new or enhanced cycle parking provision that could contribute to brightening up the public realm in a fun way  (library’s/community facilities/parks/stations/town centres etc) but as early as possible I would like to seek suggestions from Newham Cyclists.

 Any suggestions can be sent to cycle.training@newham.gov.uk.

 Related to this, our new additional cycling officer should be starting in September and we will be conducting a cycle parking audit/needs assessment (in addition to a cycling facilities/signage audit) asap. I plan on attending your next meeting (1st of September, Coffee7?) as I have some positive news/updates regarding Stratford Gyratory/QEOP/Royal Docks/Quietways.

 Thank you for your help,

Kind regards,

Richard

28SPOKES_OS1

Hackney Cycling Conference 6 June

If anyone would like like to go (Newham Cyclists will reimburse the cost)  please let me (Arnold) know.

This is how the conference is billed:

“The major funding committed for London highlights a growing political will for ambitious and innovative approaches to improve the public realm and encourage more people to cycle on our road network. With huge commitment for such change, what is the future of London’s landscape?

With schemes such as Mini-Holland set to create substantial and transformative change along with the extension of cycle superhighways and funding for Quietways, key questions and challenges start to arise around cycling design standards. How will the competition for space be managed? Is there a need to reallocate road space? How do we encourage and increase cycling numbers without taking away space from modes other than the private car, should we cut into bus lanes and muscle in on footways?

As London’s number one borough for cycling, the Hackney Cycling Conference offers unrivalled access and opportunity to explore these issues with a cross-sector mix of transport professionals, politicians, academics and campaigners that are involved in influencing an increase in safe cycling in the UK.

Confirmed speakers include                                                                                   

- Andrew Gilligan, London Cycling Commissioner

- Klaus Bondham, Director at Danish Cyclists’ Federation

- John Dales, Director of Urban Movement

- Brian Deegan & Paul Lavelle, Transport for London

- Peter Piet, Steer Davies Gleave & Roy Thompson, Royal Borough or Kingston upon Thames

- Dr Rachel Aldred, Senior Lecturer in Transport, University of Westminster

- Tom Bogdanowicz, London Cycling Campaign

- David Dansky, Cycle Training UK “

New links to the Olympic Park have opened

In time for the beginning of May bank holiday, some new links into the Olympic Park from the River Lee navigation have opened. These links might be useful for people going to the big ride on the 17th May,  if they are unable to join our feeder ride.


At Old Ford Lock, you can now get into the South Park close to the Great British Garden by the Stadium via a gentle ramp. 

DSCN1022
Old Ford Olympic park access

 

 

 

 


By the Copper Box Bridge across the river/canal, There is now use a zig zag ramp, (next to stairs) from The Newham side (and towpath) to the top of the bridge by the copper box, on the other side of the bridge there is a lift.

DSCN1052
Copper Box access

 

 

 

 


The East Marsh at Hackney is now open too, Though Eton Manor is not yet so you still have to cross busy roads between there and the North Park.

DSCN1058a
East Marsh, Hackney

 There are still a few access routes to open, but some others should be open shortly.

 

 

 

 

Proposed Traffic orders for Sandringham and Cramner Rds

  • I have received notice from the Council of some new proposed traffic orders.  They y would introduce one way traffic to Sandringham Road and Cramner Rd in Forest Gate.  This appears to be linked to control of the school run becase it is accompanied by additional parking restrictions. I would be happy to forward the details to anyone interested. A response must be submitted by 14 January.   I suggest that, in principle, further one way streets should not be encouraged in residential areas and is also  inconsistent with the aim of permeability in such areas of urban Newham. If there must be one way streets then we should advocate cycle contraflows.   Let me know what you think.Arnold