Newham cyclists are fielding (at least) one table for the Bike From Boleyn Group’s Quiznight on Friday 13 January at 7.30pm at West Ham Supporters Club, Castle St. This is essentially a fundraiser but two prizes already secured are two taster sessions at the Velodrome and tea for two at the House of Commons.
If you would like to come along please do. It would assist if you let me know in advance.
Our Next Meeting …
will be at Coffee7, Forest Gate, at 7.30pm (note the new time) on 30 January.
Steve’s Ride to Greenstead is scheduled for 15 January.
We are looking into having some kind of workshop – probably at Forest Gate market. Plans still at an early stage.
- We have lodged objections to the conversion of Bridge H14 in the Olympic Park to vehicular traffic (7/12/16).
- We made representations in respect of a traffic scheme for roads off High St North in Manor Park.
- We have been receiving plans for the Tower Hamlets section of the proposed Quietway 6 (from Victoria Park) to Fairlop). They are not good, unfortunately.
- Just before Christmas three of us had one of the regular catch up meetings with Newham Council’s Sustainable Transport Officer. As usual Richard was open and informative.
Headlines:- The ramp at Twelve Trees Crescent is now open making it much easier to get from Three Mills to Cody Dock along the Lea Pathway. However the completion of the path from Canning Town is now so delayed that an (unsatisfactory) cycle diversion is being signposted.
– The Greenway improvements (Quietway 2.1) comprising lighting, longer opening, some resurfacing, more ramps, some targeted training- are beginning to be put in place. This will be complemented by the long awaited examination of these sequencing of the lights at the A13 flyover. These improvements will provide a key artery for cycling through Newham.
– Some improvements to Quietway 6 through north Newham are being put in place, but there remain some critical uncertainties over key junctions crossing at Leyton Rd, Leytonstone Rd and Woodgrange Rd. Astonishingly the Council have recently introduced pavement parking for vehicles in Cemetery Rd.
-The Council are planning to extend cycle improvements from Silvertown Way (delayed further whilst more remodelling is done for TfL) along North Woolwich Rd.
– Stratford Gyratory work is envisaged to start in August 2017.
– Some improvements to CS3 designed to improve access to Barking could bring cycle benefits to Jenkins Lane. The cycle parking under the Westfield bridge is well used, but closed between midnight and 5.00am.
– We have been provided with an early draft of a long awaited Cycle Strategy for Newham. It includes an assessment of the main routes through Newham (which are mostly very sub-standard) and an interesting factual introduction: Cycling has increased as a share of travel in recent years but the biggest increase has been on public transport (buses), whilst motor vehicle use and walking has declined; less than half the households in Newham own a car.
A new chart of ongoing infrastructure issues in the light of this meeting is here:
Outstanding stuff Dec 2016 version
Please get in touch through this site if you would like any further information.